Skip to main content

tv   After Words with Milo Yiannopoulos  CSPAN  August 21, 2017 12:00am-1:04am EDT

12:00 am
>> you can watch this and other programs online at booktv.org. >> next on booktv, "after words" journalist milo yiannopoulos discusses his book dangerous which explores the speech he is interviewed by marji ross president and publisher of regnery. >> milo yiannopoulos wonderful to have you with us today. >> thank you how are you? >> i am wonderful. i wish you were here in d.c. but you are in new york and we are excited to talk.
12:01 am
>> i am in this dark room and a skyscraper. i was looking so forward to meeting you! >> you look like you are out over the new york skyline. i don't see a billboard. >> that is a lie. >> this or there's no advertisement for your book behind you! right? right? you! right? >> may be tranquil you know like drag queen style. >> we will see it. just in case anyone in the plan has missed, you have just written and published your first book. "dangerous". >> i have. >> and others in the table of contents a pre-much everyone hates you. so - >> it does feel that way to me. >> according to the table of contents we were number of people that hate you. i guess you would say that the progressive left hates you. the alt right , the media, black lives matter, the list goes on.
12:02 am
so you sold a lot of books for someone who is hated by everyone. who is buying the book?>> that >> that is true. it is week four in the new york times bestseller list. no one else can imagine a publisher turning his dad, can you believe it? i'm very happy. i have been very happy with the reaction. i think what happened is people, has a bit of a drama in february or something tumbled out of my mouth a year and and a half ago on one of those long late-night live streams. united like seven hours of interviews a day and occasionally something will come out of your mouth that you don't mean.
12:03 am
and i apologize for that. what happened afterwards is why i love america so much. people are so forgiving. and if they believe that you gave us is the account of what went wrong and if they know that by and large wrinkly decent person putting a good decent product, and they really want to hear more from you than i think they are very accommodating and very forgiving. >> that is not exactly my memory of the way that went down. >> yeah. i think people have been great. the media of course and trevor of actual americans are fine. they are lovely and wonderful decent people. they can see through the spin, they can see through the garbage.
12:04 am
i think in my point of view that is what happened. >> what is the book written for? >> my primary audience is enormously younger than a lot of conservatives. that's my c-span, excusing my there was a bit of controversy about me speaking at - because they're usually much older evangelical people that really hate the president.and i think perhaps they are just on settled on my style of conservatives. it's much more or very strict about some social things like immigration and islam that they are too terrified to touch. a little bit more, a little bit softer on church or free enterprise. that sort of populous nationalist and the people now
12:05 am
associate with me with. i am a child of that. and i am a product of the intellectual land. i do believe in that stuff. most importantly i believe people's right to discuss it and defend it. actually to discuss and defend anything. show less text 00:04:30 unidentified speaker >> let me ask you about the victim seems to me and assure to you like the left has been a little crazy with the election of donald trump. how do you explain that? >> there is an earnestness and i mean look, the left, it's pretty funny to watch places like vanity fair right publishing articles say maybe the left has a problem with violence also. what do you mean? you invented it! you literally invented it. they are the people that want social change, they are the
12:06 am
people i want to tear down institutions and replace them with even they don't know. of course they are the ones that are going to reach for violence when their arguments fail. show less text 00:05:18 unidentified speaker >> but this is a big change. what -- >> essentially the difference i think between conservatives and liberals is that conservatives by nature want to preserve things. they want to maintain status quo or at least they would like change that has been properly looked into and researched and thought about. and they want change based on data and evidence. that is in short supply currently because the left believes in and number of myths, the gender pay gap, and dozens of others. black lives matters is completely operated by the reality of who kills who in america. in all kinds of things like that. and as a journalist in britain coming to america, imagine this is going to be land of the free, i thought perhaps foolishly, that this would be the country could be, do and say anything. and what i discovered is that it is true but only if you're left-wing. if you look in the beginning was the question sarah silverman and people at that. and before she contracted feminism she was a really funny feminism. she told jokes about everyone. these days however, she is best known for squaring up on twitter
12:07 am
because she hasn't read into something properly.and the result that she is becoming unpopular.and then amy schumer has never been quite funny but - she is put in the ka profession magazine. when you put someone on the cover of a magazine, you're not a look at this person, your saint be like this person. anyone in the country was to be like amy schumer. particularly not after the car crash of a movie she just did with poor goldie hawn that came out of retirement to be in the abomination. and her special for netflix. it was up against some stiff competition. >> let me ask you a question. you talk about conservatives wanted to preserve things. and yet, call yourself a conservative i think. >> i think that any movement, any movement, whether it is an intellectual movement for social activist movement requires
12:08 am
people from all across the spectrum. there is a chapter my book were really -- the people watching this program coming into this, determined to hate me. by the end of this my pause to say - maybe they want after this but conservative accomplish absolutely nothing to win the cultural wars in the last 30 years. they have somehow managed to scramble into office but when they get into office they do nothing with it. they don't achieve anything or accomplish anything. >> able talk about republicans or conservatives?
12:09 am
what is the distinction here? >> i'm talking about the recycle bin -- the republican establishment. even some conservatives at publishers. i'm talking about in particular republican politicians. all of the people that hate donald trump. massively ineffective, useless people that say one thing and do another. in his values have drifted from what ordinary americans care about so much that i don't that the republican party minus trump can really speak for anyone in america right now except the super rich. the democrats are right about that. and they have done a good job of clinging onto power but they have done a really bad job of making sure that they are a powerful and a presence to be feared in the arenas that actually matter. you know you get the oval office and congress and senate university lost the battle. i'm talking to hollywood, the media, college campuses. >> how do you change those things?
12:10 am
>> he do it i am doing. you get attention, start discussions. nothing in the last 30 years has done as much to raise public awareness about the iraqi politics on campus is the uc berkeley. plenty of people have gone there not been able to speak. plenty of people got the colleges and had violent protests. but no one is quite been able to generate the, no one is quite been able to show the left what they really are like me. and so this book is about how i got to that stage. who else is on the chopping block to the silicon valley establish republican. -- >> tell us how you got here. >> how do we get you back? [laughter] i'm getting married to someone i love very much. good luck with that i am afraid. >> i'm very disappointed.
12:11 am
>> let me ask you about - you put on a boundless show. with your boas and jewelry and outfits. i guess one question is how do you make sure that people hear what you're saying when they might be too busy marching what you're doing are looking. have they get past the show and hear the message? >> if you actually watch rachel's which most people don't and you just read the headlines, you listen to journalists and believe what you read on twitter and you have never actually picked up my book and have never come to one of my shows, i can imagine why a lot of people feel the question - i will give you an example. i did a show about abortion. i am very pro-life. i did a show about abortion and
12:12 am
i started it, i was just in a study for handing out posters that were signed and numbered by me like they were kind of precious merchandise. like madonna was giving out photos. but they were photos of aborted fetuses. it was so shocking people were just like what the what? and then i came out and give a talk that was rooted in studies, data and evidence. while making fun of the hypocrisies of the progressive left. if you actually read, if you
12:13 am
exit pick up a copy of the book, it is impossible to claim that just because i get people's attention with showmanship that there is no substance. they want you to believe i'm a clown and an attention speaker but it is impossible to maintain that if you actually read anything i write will come to one of my shows. >> let me ask you because i read your book i love that by the way it was perfect.there are a lot of interesting things as transport let me have you talk about a couple of things he said in the book. one thing he said, never again let the left eye they're the ones fighting bigotry. they are in fact the greatest defenders.tell me what you mean by that. >> what i'm seeking to do, the reason the left hates me so much
12:14 am
is that i am kind of like living disproves of the two central
12:15 am
tenets of american progressives. one is political correctness. i'm smashing that norm and demonstrating that nothing bad happens when you crack a joke that someone says that's racist! no, it was really funny and all my friends that it was okay and - the main thing that they hate is a sound of laughter. they really hate that. the first thing to go and any authoritarian regime is satire because adult white laughing at them. and the thing that left hates most is the tenor and character of the populist nationalist in america priscilla started it by being the first person that stood up in the belly of the beast at uc berkeley, uc irvine,
12:16 am
uw seattle and just left. >> what i'm seeking to do, the reason the left hates me so much is that i am kind of like living disproves of the two central tenets of american progressives. one is political correctness. i'm smashing that norm and demonstrating that nothing bad happens when you crack a joke that someone says that's racist! no, it was really funny and all my friends that it was okay and - the main thing that they hate is a sound of laughter. they really hate that. the first thing to go and any authoritarian regime is satire because adult white laughing at them. and the thing that left hates most is the tenor and character of the populist nationalist in america priscilla started it by
12:17 am
being the first person that stood up in the belly of the beast at uc berkeley, uc irvine, uw seattle and just left. i laughter them. they are so evident ludicrous. the social justice worries that believe in conspiracy theories want to break the tradition of gender stereotypes and turn themselves into this hideous warthog in the process and complaint everyone -- i am laughing at that. because no one can resist the truth with a good joke but the second part is identity and america has a disease and it is that and i never experience this before i came here before i went to school with, i went to a fairly wealthy school in london
12:18 am
and in the south east of england and nonetheless, we had probably a much higher rate of minorities in the school and wealthy schools in america do. so we have a lot of asians by which i mean the indian subcontinent, a lot of blacks and i'm thinking back in my school days and i'm thinking yes angela was cool and there are five things i think about angelo before i remember that he was black. but overhear, meet someone in your medley start making assumptions about them based on their skin color. nbc news calls me a white nationalist. knowingly calls me a white nationalist people have the 10 minute rant in my talks about how i hate the stuff and i, if
12:19 am
you're going to have identity politics is what white people do it too but i would rather nobody had it. because it is poisonous and toxic when you judge people by their skin color, sexuality or their gender. these things are not relevant. to reason debate about politics or about social policy. it's not like you are wise you have no way to talk about this. this is effective journalism academia is not spiraling into hollywood. d.c. has a cast on the transfers. jake davidson who plays a trans hooker in the crying game. anything more famously played another quit acting after those roles because he didn't like the attention. he gave one of the most
12:20 am
brilliant portrayals of the challenges in horror of being a transgender person in america. -- [inaudible question] >> in the happen - this happened before trans was -- what you aspire to become what your values are, who you are as a human being. if you took martin luther king, i have a dream speech and told college campuses that it was a by trump it was a it is racist. i am going to do that on my next door and say that this is from jeff sessions or whoever. >> what are you doing what is this called? >> it is called academy. this was designed to introduce me to american college campuses and america at large for the book has not done that through
12:21 am
much wider audience. well in excess of - in the first month i think i made 1.2 million. >> that is one of the big problems. >> is doing really well. and a big festival of free speech, people on the left hate the most, uc berkeley, for a weeklong celebration, i think it will do good things for the both. but yes, it kicks off my seven month tour. they said south america days australia, days in london, germany, sweden and of course all over the united states. tendons of florida, tenant california. >> so this is called troll academy. >> in my book i make a distinction between trolling and mere cruelty. in my view trolling done correctly?
12:22 am
hyperboles is intended to reveal things. >> a virtuous troll. >> i told joe's only my fans get peer than everyone else, because everyone in america is so you know they take it at face value. you don't get irony. this is a constant. [laughter] being a european in america. i call myself the most fabulous super villain on the extent known in america picks up on the word fabulous that i might be saying slightly tongue-in-cheek. as if i were actually super villain. i'm not going to tag myself is fabulous. like what is happening? >> of you might have a fabulous costume. most super villains do. >> while i like my new favorite type that i am wearing for you. >> thank you very much! >> give my grown-up c-span outfit. but nobody america seems to
12:23 am
understand that the most fabulous super villain on the internet might just be a bit tongue-in-cheek. >> so trolling. >> that is the reason for this. america's forgotten how to laugh because everyone is terrified of telling any good jokes. have you heard a good joke on t.v. recently? i haven't. look at the john oliver special about alex jones. right? john oliver is roasting alex jones for 22 and a half minutes. he doesn't lend a single punch. he doesn't give one single good joke. let me tell you i happen to like him i think he gets things spectacularly wrong but i think he is sincere. i did a big interview with him that went phenomenally well. a series sit down between me and him.i find him fascinating. i tried to ask him serious
12:24 am
questions that megyn kelly didn't. and i just found that people like him and me, we are performance artists to a degree. we are, we do not mind being clownish although would not describe us as clowns. for the c-span art is a guess the best analogy would be - we do not mind people laughing at us if we are the only people telling the truth in the room. and okay, nobody in the court realizes it but everyone watching trent what the court is the american establishment, they don't get me. american journalists are the dumbest species in the world i have to tell you. i have met practice journalism in five different countries. american journalists are by a margin the dumbest people in the world. these people have iqs of 95 tried to interview those of us with iqs of - will i will not brag but - they are not capable of understanding things and where they detected they use it as an opportunity to declare racism. >> it is an easy accusation.
12:25 am
>> for me, trolling is that if you tell the truth and you do it in an entertaining way that you will win way more fans than the media has made enemies for you. and i am proof of that. donald trump is proof of that. there people that, with the exception of the present time obviously the biggest personality in that ecosystem. but there are lots of us. and they all have in common, there are things even right-leaning publication will brazenly and knowingly lied to the public about. and it is not okay.the reality by the media. >> let me ask you something. he said something really interesting in the book about media bias which is always
12:26 am
fascinating because we'll talk about media bias. we visit a lot i need face it since you have come here. you said social media bias is far more dangerous than mainstream media bias. what does that mean? >> oh my goodness are you kidding? it's not even close! the good thing is no one trust journalists anymore. and they are right not to trust them. and nobody did that them, trump did not do it to them, they did it to themselves. they consistently lied about omission, misrepresent things, wall-to-wall coverage of russia when there is no evidence of anything. then tony coverage of things that americans might actually want to know about.
12:27 am
you cannot trust anything going on. and according to polling, they are just tuning out. look at you now there are women that vote for trump that do not like the guy. and when they are interviewed they say the media went for him so hard i realized something was up. and i just stopped listening to the noise. i watched him and i watched hillary. i decided i did not want hillary. in a just stopped listening to what the press had to say. that is i think what is coming for every journalist everywhere they do not raise their game. if they do not of their professionalism. [inaudible question] >> that problem is nothing compared to the threat of
12:28 am
silicon valley and the politics that are even crazier than the politics of mainstream media. mainstream media is like medium left, almost exclusively. and trump is perceived as right wing. because of the language he is slashing through political correctness which i love. but that is important because he is like - he may be unwittingly, he is a primary defender of the first amendment of america today. and there is not a close second perhaps - he is the die emboldening people to say how they really feel without being afraid. and sociologists call this - you had people that use a state communism is wonderful before the berlin wall kingdom.
12:29 am
and then when it came down suddenly everyone was a westerner. everybody says they believe things they don't for an easy life. when everyone is like insane man bully haters that tell lies -- if you look at silicon valley, there is lack lives matter on the world of offices. i think they are literally in bed with these activists. if you look at google for this week fired a guy from circulating a reasonable calm and fair totally scientifically justified for that to listen to other views was fired. stop the presses you know but it's like -- [laughter] they didn't ban me because of my opinions because i don't believe millions that millions ordinary americans don't believe.
12:30 am
i'm too clever and effect i have and dangerous to them so they have to get rid of me an they wait for me to be a run-in with a black female actress because expwreas with a back woman is offlimits for any reason. >> racist is offlimits. and you know, the funny thing about that because the reason people like me so much is they see the gap between how i'm described and reality and people who like me, my fans, went to reed. the review that i posted of "ghostbusters" they -- found -- i just sended liz lee jones in a way that my fans wouldn't have liked. i said, i think it's kind of sad that a black woman on tv has to do this -- routine right this stereotypical black female character, why can't we have a woman on screen who happens to be black? right, no we have to have her doing the whole whatever routine. i said i was sorry she was directed on that and i made fun of her journalists can not make fun of a select give me a break. i have making fun of myself i'm
12:31 am
glad they caught the hot black dude making fun of my own o sexual preferences making fun was fact that she'singly which she is. right, no we have to have her doing the whole whatever routine. i said i was sorry she was directed on that and i made fun of her journalists can not make fun of a select give me a break. i have making fun of myself i'm glad they caught the hot black dude making fun of my own o
12:32 am
sexual preferences making fun was fact that she'singly which she is. a journalist can't cull a celebrity ugly in first amend an journalist willingly live and all friends of people at twitter they willingly lie to credulous rearsd say they whipped up u a storm of hate, no -- i'm sorry. do you say the same thing had about justin bieber when he breaks up with with selena gomez knowing she's going to get death and rape threats? same thing with beyonce with a recall with taylor swift know he's getting threats, no it is a double standard and conservative. so the problem of the media is sort of being sold i think by
12:33 am
the free market. the interview that i did with npr which they won't add because i came across this too reasonable and like likable which i posted in full on my youtube. you know, i explain this stuff, and i said, you -- [laughter] well the problem is, they don't really want to describe are people fairly and accurately because they're worried they might find them per sweysable so i've been called everything. sexist homophobic a pedophile you name it it's been in the page of a major newspaper. >> you have an interesting ally right now somebody defending you that i wouldn't necessarily expect to see next to you that's the aclu. so tell us how you and the aclu have somehow come together in a -- fight for free speech. >> well, once every -- millennium aclu gets it right, and i don't mean to be mean. they approached us actually which i was impressed by, and they -- you know my hunch with the aclu is people who actually run it. i don't think money is saying this. but people who run it are are pretty sound and pretty good on
12:34 am
first amendment an fair but they have trouble keeping their troops in line with a bunch of 25, 30-year-old activist or who like off a the deep end crazy social justice worries those social justice is warrior require aclu to hate me or they'll quit whatever. so we express our concern about language they were going to use about me and they disagree and said you know they're not wrong. so -- they proch me, we agreed on how we were going talk about each other. given the i hate every position they take from this this one. you know. but there's a higher principle involved to what matters. so higher principle than any one complaint so i'm thed lead
12:35 am
plaintiff in a case that includes car areafam sells ten dorgs pill but they should be allowed to speak and you know. i don't know whether they should be what they're doing but peter, i think are are deranged and i want to do a press conference and they wouldn't let me but i wanted to do a press conference it show up in chinchilla and leather hat and say next to nobody here agrees exactly. nobody here agrees with anyone else on anything. i for instance am in a 30,000 chinchilla coach today you think that's disgusting but we all will agree -- [laughter] but there's a higher principle and government should have no business in deciding what
12:36 am
speeches, quote, unquote controversial. look everyone should have an opinion about that. but they shouldn't pressure from people because my ads rejected, but my ads weren't. may adds have changes we made those changes then we put ads up they were on the washington, d.c. metro they were up for ten days or something and people start to complain and they had took them down and bow to pressure from social activist and took down posters because they, you know, they have such guidelines wouldn't quote because they're meaningless but enough wiggle room and that's not okay. government has no business caving to activist that's the heck with veto you're not aloud to do that. so they're wrong and i'm suing them. backed by the aclu, and in -- in a lawsuit with codefendant the say hey but i think that is a coplaintiff rather that i hate. and i think that's an example of exactly how we ought to be doing things which is people who under ordinary circumstances would
12:37 am
never be seen in the same room together coming together in service of a higher principle which is first amendment right to do whatever yowpght. and by the way, the washington, d.c. metro, you know, talking about controversial content in the government, and our case, our suit says government shouldn't be involved in -- many policing controversial content. my first is picturing of my face. that's -- that's controversial with a press quote well i don't know. my face is a hate crime now apparently triggering too many. maybe women were just fainting on metro and bill a health -- >> forward is the word. [laughter] kidding but my face a
12:38 am
quote about me from the press and title of the book that's it. that's it. >>ing. literally least controversial thing i have ever done. that's the least statement i've ever made is putting a picture of my face up. >> here's another statement, let me throw this one at you because i'm interested you said in your book that those who are frightened of speech are almost always frightened of something else. what do you think the left is frightened about and fighting about? >> the left are frightened because they're losing if they have endured they have enjoyed rather -- complete cultural dominance in all of three major
12:39 am
fields ofture and hollywood and conservative system absolutely nothing to win. in any of those violators, in fact, they haven't shop to site you get these, you know, i'm sorry is anybody watching this because they're c-span viewers. but these overpaid fat useless self-interested corrupt idiot yes i'm talking about you. [laughter] if you're watching this who, you know, have accepted billions of dollars from -- rich republican donors to form these tanks and publish those policy papers and write long essay and magazines what have you achieved? nothing. nothing -- and these people have the to call me a clown what does that make them? well i'm sure -- >> how do you think? >> in two years i have done more to -- first of all draw attention to the, i mean, it's not a sorry state it is an apocalyptic situation on american college campuses that
12:40 am
they are now systemically incapable of performing their basic function. >>agreed. they have done nothing to fix it. i have. and what -- you know there's so many examples this have. i have done more for i'm sorry to brag. but people are used to it by now i think. i have done more for the image of gays many what you might call real america whether it's the midwest or thespout. you know, by being a conservative and not being kressley or o matthews people on television just being normal funny, a bit sassy but not being a queen, and having -- demonstrating that it is okay you know your son turns out to be gay he won't end up on a roof getting pulled down by police. politics. i really, really like -- excuse i'll rephrase for your audience i enjoy company of gentlemen and i dress gay in all of the rest of it sometimes but i really like the bible and i like guns and that's o.c.
12:41 am
i like shall government too and i don't to really pay taxes. so -- these two positions ought to be completely obvious. we have, you know, like guns -- we have like celebrities and media and politicians. and everybody telling us oh, don't be so mean about islam meanwhile they're killing 50 of us in orlando nightclubs and it's not isis or terrorism. it is mainstream muslim culture. right, i'm sorry to say but it is. you know, and muslims over here they get even worse they don't assimilate but the other direction look at the stats pugh stats from the uk show muslims getting more radicalized not less over time. now american muslims are slightly different in some respects as a -- pugh study that came out showed. that there's a problem. nobody is talking about it. should be the gay people should be lining up outside gun stores to protect themselves. that's just logic and this is why by the way, also so many gay people support trump because they don't care that the white house didn't issue a -- gushing gay pride proclamation like oh, we're so happy quality and diversity blah, blah, blah because for gays with iq above 80 they associate that with a sort of -- pointless pangeddering of the democrats. the democrat who is done blacks and to gays welcomedded in islam. gay people want to e e sou is action not words. and for donald trump to say i'm thinking about muslim ban i was at home like, applauding at the cccctelevision you know. [laughter] somebody is doing something. now that's unpopular position and not everybody will hold it
12:42 am
but largely king the and i think i've done more for the image of gays -- you know, in places like midwest and the south than 30 years of, you know, pandering democrats and gay charities and after what they did following -- orlando not let this turn into islam phobia. 50 of us are dead and you're worried about job polling. fnlings you have pretty interesting list of -- heros you mentioned donald trump and you and donald trump share frankly a lot of -- the sort of disrupter qualities you're both disrupters but you have interesting people in your with name that you list that you actually -- you know think of as fighting the same
12:43 am
fight you have margaret thatcher tucker carlson. rule paul giuliana assange what do these people have in common? >> i think what these people have in common is they all believe in free are speech and free expression. now if i had been doing what i do in the 90s, i think i would have been doing the same -- to the religious right that i am today to the progressive left. because i've come over here as a visitor is from europe and socially conservative fine, but i would have come over and a probably fiscally conservative but i've come over here and identified what i believe are are threats to free expression, free speech. and i've done that by -- saying
12:44 am
outrage os stuff and watching to see who gets upset. and although publishment of republicans don't like me because they don't like the site of their party crumbling from beneath them they did that by ignoring voters by, you know, i mean, if you hear some of the stuff bill kristol say when is he thinks nobody is listening and tweets and you tell that to somebody working in a factory or wisconsin they do not represent voters at all even in a little bit. and if you -- it's just mazing to me i've been here for what two years, a year and a half and i have a better grasp on one american care about about and people paid to know.
12:45 am
[laughter] but what all of those people have in common i think on the fly leaf of the book i was too because they're sort of swirlenings but can't be tongue and cheek. [laughter] and you know, i think when they'll have in common is that they are all -- they all had a natural disposition to irritate the establishment. they all in their own way with varying degree of substance they published something. i don't like fact that donald trump clearly doesn't read. you know, he doesn'ted read books. and i don't think he has much of a grasp of policy detail neither did reagan. but his instincts are great. his instincts are are fantastic and other things i like for me
12:46 am
to be a fan. i don't like the fact that he doesn't read i'm not going to lie. but other poem on my list too. marilyn manson for instance, much smarter than -- i think everybody knows by now because i've seen an interview they realize that shock drop persona versus a guy getting interviews they're the same person and they believe the same things. but there's, obviously, a lot of thought what is gone into marilyn manson the creation. you know? and i think the more that i make in roads to doing interviews like this more people realize same is beginning on with me. madonna you realize a brilliant businesswoman even if she's, you know, shoving things on herself
12:47 am
and bed on staimg, and you know the video all of the rest of it and she was -- i to be honest with you i don't think this is too humorous but true if you imagine madonna in the 90s her videos beingen baaed by mtv, and it created this sense that it was irresistible everybody wanted to see the videos and it was also great and music also great but mtven baaing those thought were stupid, that's really what turned her into a mega star. well who is closest to that today? it is me. >> sounds familiar. >> what's that? >> that sounds like -- like great. >> i think it is. i think it's true. i think it's true. i think i'm the madonna in the 90s no, this is the -- this is
12:48 am
you know c-span is repghting their audience but not a major -- mainstream media broadcast -- i haven't been interviewed once. not once. i, you know, barnes & noble we have to fight them to get my books and even stuff. you know, and they have these -- they have these great out buttons where stuff couldn't order it. you know, some real shady stuff was going on over there. >> issues to drop it. but hasn't been reviewed. they do respond to that. >> i did of course i did. they know by the way that i have a very interesting phone call i recorded that i made today vice president of public affairs. which i will drop if they keep misbehaving. but they why that is a threat. i have, you know -- all of these hills to climb. you know better than anyone the source of hills you have to climb as a conservative or someone who is at least perceived as conservative versus a liberal. imagine if like i've had no mainstream u interview or book review and never own television. yet you know, the second or third week -- the second or third week your book was out it was the number i know but you were the number one -- selling book in the country. >> oh, well i was number one selling book in the country in week three of "new york times" put me at number five on the charts. and by the way, they described me as outright despite the fact that chapter two of my book is titled why they hate me. and i say in the interview that i'm not. all of the rest of it. but the way it demonstrates too e boring and too complicated but read the book in you're interested in that. and all of the rest of it. but the way it demonstrates is not only they're not reading it. and disagreeing with it. and saying that it is dangerous. they haven't opened copy of one of their own best-selling books "new york times" precincting "the new york times" best seller list and nobody in the building has opened a copy of it. >> well this happens -- >> all the time and we're have been familiar with that. and it's not like -- it's not like they don't have them. i have five. [laughter] >> sent five. in the end -- i'm not sure it matters anymore. it used to matter a lot more.
12:49 am
i'm not sure it matters anymore. >> think of it this way. you know i think conservatives have this like have this kind of optimistic view of things but u two things i would say if -- the press gave me the same kind of love, attention and lavish pray they give to amy schumer undeserved on nature of nothing and talentless war hogs if they gave me that level of gushing attention. because i'm the same just with different policy really. i wouldn't have sold a couple of hundred but i would have sold a hl. for real. because my books actually good. their stuff is trash. if simon hadn't wrongly terminated our contract because they said that -- one day they
12:50 am
were gloriously happy with a manuscript and next day it is unfit for publication really. no well they did a calculation i think they said we're going to lose so much liberal business hanging on this guy. they even though book is successful and profitable there's a huge risk here. well guess what you're aingt entitled to do that so you have to pay. [laughter] isn't provision for that contract for you making a -- estimate of the effect on your other business elsewhere. you don't get to do that. >> supposedded to that before you sign the contract in the first place. [laughter] >> exactly pep and you know in the country in the illegal
12:51 am
document itself and i've never seen a contract like that that refer to me as controversial and provocateur that's why they wanted the book because they know it would sell but if that hasn't imagine how many more would have sold by now. i think we have 75 or 100,000 preorders when they canceled the book that was in february and book wasn't out until june i would have 200,000 preorders. preorder rs one of the biggest books of the decade if they wouldn't have canceled it out o profitable in the publishings ever. i have against all odds everything set up against me. media publishment nobody would touch it. i have against all of the odds
12:52 am
to turn this into a "new york times" best seller. time line done with it -- i will sell 200,000 copies of this book just so i can show purchase orders because numbers, you know, the book stamp numbers which i know you'll know about always so far under and my book sell a lot direct because we publish ourselves so we can profit. don't go u through amazon. >> interesting publishing story you know i've been in publishing conservative books for 0 -- 20 years and it's fascinating. nobody covering it. magazines should there for the first time because publishers weekly the book seller have only published stories about disappointing seats numbers and
12:53 am
about the fact they're such liars they see the book scan numbers and don't add up to what i've said to direct to consumer because of how we wanted it to happen because we make more money that way and vastly ebooks all of the rest of it. you know, because my audience is so young. they have kindles and buy on iphone, all of this kind of stuff. anyway, so -- you know, they kind of trying to insinuate without saying it not lie about numbers all of the rest of it. i've got reports from people who precinct and district our books i know how many we sold and 1.2 million in month one. >> those who read as do i what's your favorite book? [laughter] >> besides your own you're not
12:54 am
aloud to say that. [laughter] that would be. book that i would pick up and read again and again. from categories because your favorite book is impossible question to answer. so politics -- i think ann coulter is so underrated as a pundit because nobody reads her box and only see her as kind of stirring pot on tv. >> reader books question sold a, you know, couple hundred thousand -- >> did read her books add owe in america. >> of course conservatives read her books you know, i'm saying her critics don't read her books. and as a result, i don't think anyone realizes u how funny she is. she's so funny and she's funniest conservative, i mean, i pail in comparison to her. >> actually if ann is not only is she funny but like you she's substantive it she's a lot -- of she works really hard. and a lot in it her book. >> and she is like -- she's like got the same thing that i have the same thing steve bannon has which she's a -- so totally unfazed by the lies of the left,
12:55 am
she's like a steam roller. you know, she's like what is she a 13 time "new york times" best sell or author reason she is that is not because she's opinionny and smart but doesn't give a hoot. right. like a -- say what you want and on tv she demonstrate it is. but underrated. as far as philosophy goes i like -- [inaudible conversations] so much, obviously, but i like primarily a philosopher of knowledge not the mentioned stuff that his kind of like turned into a nazi thing but actual nature. interesting. i love thumbs-up, thumbs down. thumbs-up, thumbs down philmar. >> thumbs-up because he has a brave -- he's smart. i wouldn't mind meeting him one day his show gets three, one million viewers a year with a whole market open. fighting with other left wing hosts nothing on tv for conservatives. thumbs-up for him brave enough >> sarah palin. >> say again. >> sarah palin. >> i'm so sorry i can't hear what you're say. >> i said sarah palin. >> i love her. i love her. i mean, i don't think the to be president. but i -- look i've met her. i think she is -- funny and genuine and serious she was thrown into a world that maybe she -- didn't know how to
12:56 am
operate and badly managed badly assisted i think she was -- sabotaged from the right and left both sides. i think that she's the person treated perhaps the most unfairly in public life after me. [laughter] and -- yeah, no. i think she's great. >> colin kaepernick. >> next. >> i don't mind theater and a bit of drama but i want some substance and he has no to say when you listen to him, he's talking points read on the internet. garbage only reason by the way that his jersey sales went up was so people could burn them. >> i like that statistic. the pope -- [laughter] >> awe -- that was a mean question you're paying me back or something. i i don't know how much am i aloud to say without being excommuted i will say this the previous pope benedict is -- was my favorite. >> a big thumbs-up. a deeply, deeply religious intelligent brilliant theologian yongd my understanding in many ways. spiritual and kind and decent and wonderful i think the previous pope was tremendous. this pope wants to be in the new jean paul the ii but he doesn't have charisma or intelligence and he seems to run his mouth about things in a very unhelpful way. and he's also -- he perhaps also is being badly managed advised because he has people around him it's like a good idea to, you know, imagine this. right, you're the pope's head of communications and you're telling the pope it is a good idea to have a go at trump when
12:57 am
you live in the vatican? >> not good. he has bad people around him. >> so i know you gave a thumbs-up to trump but here's my question and maybe my last question for you. we're talking earlier you and he are both disrupters. how does the disrupter can a disrupter succeed as president how does a disrupter succeed and where do you see sort of for the future -- of donald trump? >> so you have a structural problem in this country. the american system the political system works really,
12:58 am
really well with the exception of the president or maybe supposed to be like this but lest just say it's a quirk inherent in the system now in europe we have a sciewrnl monarchy which means you you vote for the ceo thinking about about it in corporate terms right you vote for the ceo. but the president you know, the front of house, the -- whatever. is monarch that's the best way to be honest. in france you have an elected president and elected prime minister, and the the president has all of the trappings of monarchy and expense that comes with it. but doesn't really seem to be much point of their existence sometime. and it really end up just sort
12:59 am
of being, you know, like x american presidents who still cost the taxpayer like tens of millions a year. that's kind of like the french sitting president like what's the five? in america the president and ceo are the same person not only the president the guy who projects the image -- the projects his politic and a personality and represents america on the world stage but he also runs the government. you know, he makes decision about inner work rs of the federal government. that's the problem. because -- everybody who gets elect odd to the presidency is only really good at one of those jobs. trump is a spectacular president
1:00 am
for -- in my view spectacular projectings things that american have been lusting for. strength, america first, all of that kind of stuff. now i know people there will be very wide range of opinions on that people think he's a clown and misspeaks all of the rest of it. yeah, yeah but i think it was atlanta came up with trump supporters take him seriously and literal lis and they don't take him seriously but they're get it right. you know, so i like him asth the. i like him as president of the country. as ceo -- i don't think his natural disruptive instinct that works on the campaign trail in the presidential side of his role. i don't think well suited to navigating the lab rat sign, corrupt, mess of washington, d.c. . >> which is interesting because -- >> he was a ceo he was a businessman but he was -- >> ceo o of his own company but of his own company structured how he wanted it of a company that actually functioned unlike the federal government which doesn't. yiement the reason that i talk about, talk about silicon valley versus earlier questions the reason i talk about civil silicon valley because it doesn't appreciate the full horror of the situation or washington government but private corporations because federal government is too incompetent. ....
1:01 am
1:02 am
fifth >> off festive naphthas fifth. >> the computer? give me a break gerrymandering in search results is terrifying. >> you are sometimes terrifying in some kinds could and always provocative but italy's wonderful. and the best selling author. congratulations on the key a
1:03 am
difference and take ds in a better direction and federal we appreciate it. >> to even think kasai will to carry on -- i will carry on. . >> i think

5 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on